Pitcher's Mound Maintenance
- Specialty Packing Clay
- Water Can (filled)
- Landscape Rake
Because of the abuse a pitcher's mound takes, it must be repaired everyday. This simple process should only take a few minutes at the end of the day.
- Begin by sweeping dry, loose materials off worn areas to expose the mound clay and remove from the mound (don’t sweep into the grass). If topdressing remains on old clay, new clay will not bind and will tear out.
- Loosen the worn areas with a sharpened iron rake (sharpen the teeth on a grinder) in preparation to add new specialty packing clay.
- Now water the loosened areas lightly and add Turface® Mound Clay® or shredded softened MoundMaster® blocks.
- Tamp new materials until firm.
- Once firm, lightly moisten these areas again.
- Shave the high spots down with a sharpened iron rake. Use your rake to pull dry material over wet material.
- Lightly rake, moisten and cover with your tarp.